Hachnasat Orchim comes from the Biblical story of Abraham and Sarah: when guests unexpectedly arrived at their tent, the couple warmly welcomed the visitors, made them comfortable, and fed them generously.
Use these resources to learn about the mitzvah of
hachnasat orchim, or welcoming guests!
Everything you wanted to know about Hachnasat Orchim — and more!
- Explore PJ Library’s hospitality hub!
- Read about how one parent taught her children about the mitzvah of hachnasat orchim.
- Use this social story to teach children about hachnasat orchim.
- Learn about hachnasat orchim from an interfaith perspective, plus get more book recs!
Crafts and games to learn about welcoming guests!
- Download, print, and color your very own “Welcome” sign!
- Make your own “Welcome” mobile!
Videos for all ages
- Learn how to make others feel welcome with BimBam.
- Get the basics of hachnasat orchim and how to introduce it to your family with this parents’ guide.
- Where does the mitzvah of hachnasat orchim come from? Learn about Abraham and Sarah’s hospitality!
- Learn about hachnasat orchim as you prepare for Sukkot!
There’s nothing like a PJ Library book!
There are so many PJ Library books about welcoming guests! Here are some of our favorites: